Tuesday, September 27, 2011

More newts on the training path

For blog

Monday rode back to the watershed in rainy, cool and cloudy conditions. The mountains were again obscured by clouds. I took the now nearly 40 lb Trek (aka the Silverado). I again saw the little salamander or newts on the road by the reservoir. This time they were alive  I stopped to observe one closely. It barely moved. I flipped it around and then with two sticks was able to pick it up and look right at it. Brown with bright orange spots.  I threw it and a few more off the road to save them.  They were maybe "Gingrich Newts" because they were getting killed out there. I will try to find out more about them.

So anyway a slow kind of ride. I took Trammel Gap road and went around Lake Sheila. Went to the end of TG rd also. A nice little detour. That lake is so pretty. saw a snail crawling across the road as I crawled up a really steep grade at the lake. 

Got to Saluda and got some water and ate some.  The sun came out a bit.  Back on the road and down the watershed. Saw a huge turtle in the middle of the road but I was going 30 mph and I left him alone.  Met Keith (of the former Keiths triathlon shop) at the bottom of the watershed and we talked a bit. He needs a job this winter as the Black Bear Adventure tours business stops in October. 

Went up old camp Indian way for a good 15-20 minute climb. When I got into Tigerville the sun was out again and it was warm. On to home.  Got in about 66 miles and 4000 feet vertical. 

Today I got a late start due to bill paying and some housekeeping.  Ahhh.  I rode my lighter Allez. Only 30lb. Ha. Anyway did my 22 mile Willis course which is a hilly loop I've done a thousand times it seems. Took 1hour and 9 minutes. After these LSD rides (long slow distance) on the heavy Silverado I was needing a confirmation on my speed. 

Then I ran almost 3 miles. Decided to go to the Y and signup before Sept was over (no membership fees). I rode the Silverado bike there and swam 750 yards in 15 minutes. Back home and go pickup Kristen. Rode the rollers while we watched a couple"everybody loves Raymond" shows. Got in 23+6+17 miles on the bike today. Not enough. 

I need a huge weekend volume coming up. We shall see. Almost 4 weeks to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment