Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Monsters and opossums : long run and a fast 5k

Last night I was busy after work helping Kristen with her Geometry homework. It took up my time and I got no workout (running) in. That was fine since my nearly 15 mile run on Sunday had me sore yet. Also the normal 10 miles of walking at work.

Tonight I stayed in Clinton and did a run before the trek home. But first a bathroom break and shopping at Bilo grocery store. I picked up some pretzels and a can of Monster Energy drink. I was feeling sluggish and needed something to pick me up. I have never had a Monster drink nor similar to but have had Starbucks bottled coffe drink. I can't justify the $2 a can for this stuff that is questionable nutrition. Ok several years ago I had a Red Bull that they gave out on the last part of Assault on Mount Mitchell bike challenge.

Anyway I was kind of anticipating a spike of energy from it (and a few handful of pretzel nuggets). As soon as I got out of the store I started drinking it. Then I changed into my running outfit. I drank probably 10 or 12 ounces of the 16 oz can. Then I was off for my 3.1 mile route. It was about 8:40 pm and a nice cool evening for a change. Great running conditions except for it was dark. I did the lap in 25 minutes which is good for me. Right as I ended the lap I spotted what I thought was a stray cat crossing my path. I yelled at it and it scampered back into the bushes. I almost ran over an oppossum!

I paused and texted this funny incident to my mom. Then I felt ambitious. I would run another lap as fast as I could. Have I mentioned I hate running 5K's? Actually I have never, not yet run an official 5K per say I have run them on my own and as part of a sprint triathlon. They are so hard and painful to me. Lungs gasp for air and legs burn. Even my arms hurt.

I started out in the normal way too fast mode going down a slight hill. As I went I began to sense my stomach, no lower down was active and warning me of something. Lots of gas was being passed. About halfway I was not sure I could make it. I started to wish for the Bilo bathroom ASAP. I slowed a bit but was making great time and was hoping for a great end result - if I could finish. I struggled on and kept the speed high to the end. I made it in 20:25. My personal best. Slow compared to many runners I am familiar with or know but my best. I was happy.

I ranon into the Bilo and took care of my urgent business. I guess the Monster energy can have several effects. One is that just psychologically the thought of taking a hyped up drink is enough to make you have energy. Second maybe and actually caffiene can improve performance. Not sure about the Taurine or carnitine and the other stuff in it. Third beware of the flushing effect on your system. At least mine. Coffee does that to me too.

So beware all you critters of the night. Don't play possum with me because I am a stark raving lunatic Monster running you down. And I will stink you up. All for now I gotta go.

No comments:

Post a Comment