Saturday, February 4, 2012

State Trooper pulls me over during a run

On Friday I went to the Y at 7:30 pm. I thought the pool was open til 8. Got in 20 monies and 800 yards when they kicked me out. Ave heart rate of approx 160 so very intense but short duration compensates.

Later around 11pm decided to run 6 to 8 miles. It was slow as I tried to keep my heart below 150. My watch somehow got set on beep if over my preset limit and that was helpful. I am out of shape and wanted to do LSD (long slow distance) run to put a load on my aerobic system in order to gain fitness. I had to again do a lot of race walking which felt like shuffling along to me.

So I was going down Wade Hampton Blvd. I was running mainly on the "goat path" that is worn on the grassy shoulder. Sometimes I do run out in the road when no cars are around. Wade Hampton is 7 lanes across and at night is almost deserted. I run against traffic. I am very careful. All the sudden a car stops right where I am. The driver says "I want to talk to you". Then I see it is a highway patrol car. I catch my breath and pause my HRM. I wondered if he suspected me of some crime?! He was concerned about me running in the road (I wasn't). He said "don't you think it is strange to be out here late at night running?". I said "it is not what normal people do". I explained it was not uncommon and how I was safe/careful etc and that I train for such things as marathons.


I am glad he cared to stop actually. A guy (pedestrian ) got hit on I-85 the other day trying to cross it. I won't be on the interstate running! Anyhow Wade Hampton is also US 29 so the trooper may see no difference. I am just a potential victim to him. He was very young (green)and not yet jaded by the job I guess. I wonder if my mom had anything to do with this??? Ha.

So I got a piece of paper that was like a warning but was checked for just "contact". It is like the write ups I give (and get) at work. I can display it with my race bibs?

So I went the 8 miles and averaged 10:30 pace or 1hr 24 minutes. Took 90 minutes for the heart to get down to 70 bpm. Good workout, but I should have gotten a ticket for runnIng too slowly!

No comments:

Post a Comment