Wednesday, February 1, 2012

New bike and related equipment

So I bought (thru eBay ) a new (to me) bike for triathlons and time trials. It is a 2005 Quintana Roo carbon frameset, model Lucero. Dura Ace components. Zipp 404 tubular wheelset with Continental Sprinter tires. Vision alloy base bar, extensions and stem. FSA makes the Vision line. Adamo ISM seat by John Cobb.

So I am not in a rush to ride it but I will soon enough. I want to use the tubulars sparingly. Also I need to get cleats for the shimano pedals (I did Wednesday night via eBay ). I also bought used (ebay) Pearl Izumi Tri Fly III carbon shoes. Back in December I bought a new aero helmet by Rudy Project (Wingspan model) when it was 50% off. It is also designed by John Cobb, the aerodynamics guru.

The new bike is very aero yet also lighter than I would have guessed. It is 17 or 17.5 lbs. The Zipp wheels are lighter than my light climbing wheelset! Need a flat and long smooth course to test how fast I can go on the new bike. Of course the engine (me) is not in great shape now so I need to keep working on that. The bike came originally and also shipped from "Richardsons Bike Mart" near Dallas, TX where Lance Armstrong got his first bikes.

So I await the cleats to complete the package. I am thinking about a new outfit to wear as well. Need a snug top at least for shorter triathlons so I can transition quickly.

My best road bike (F413) can now go back to being a road bike without the homemade aerobars and heavy soft seat. I can get it like it was intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment