Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Another heavy brick but quicker. Early October.

October 1st. Saturday night I did not workout. Just the swim today. Should have done core body workout.

Sunday I rode almost 50 miles on my race bike and got some good stretches where I could go fast and hard. Rode up to SC11 and back and more around Sandy Flats.  Rode the rollers some. 

Monday after work ran just 3.1 miles, but with 6 "all out" sprints of about 30 seconds each. Very rough. Wanted to stop and stand still after each sprint, but shuffled along til I regained composure. I read that this short run with sprints was a recovery run with some anabolic stimulus. 

Tuesday - work then drive home. No workout. Watch some TV. Last two days only the half hour run so a mini-taper so to speak. Time for a hard effort. 

Wednesday I got up about 9 am, but took til almost noon to get on the road. I was worried that I had certain symptoms of a nasal infection, but felt OK otherwise. 

I decided to ride the same 51 mile route to Woodruff and back that I did on Sept 30th. Staying away from the mountains is forcing me to get into the aerodynamic "tucked in" position most of the time which is good practice for the B2B race. 

This time I was able to do the ride faster and do it in 2 hours 39 minutes instead of 3 hours. I was happy with the result.  I averaged about 200 watts. 

I dream of someday having a light time trial bike, aero wheels, aero helmet and all the other stuff as well as being in top shape and doing a route like this "superfast".  Averaging like 24 mph would be so fun. 

Then as I did on the 30th,  I went for a long run (after a 12 minute transition). Did the same crummy route of 5.3 miles out and back on Reid School Road. Heavy traffic and running on the white stripe. Did the first two laps faster than the 30th also with about 46 minutes. At the start of the second lap I took a 12 ounce container of spiked Gatorade. I added extra salt and creatine. On the third lap I was tired but wanted to try and get an even faster time. I ate a gel and took the little bottle of Gatorade. It was agony the whole way. I kept wanting it to be over. My heart and legs were doing ok and I hit the halfway point at about 22 minutes. At 4 miles I started to give out but stayed tough and got back to the starting point at about 43.5 minutes. I was dead. Hope i didn't overdo it. 16 miles done. 

Went in apartment managed to get to the toilet and just sat my  wet behind down. Just sat there a while.  Then I put my head under the bathtub spigot and let cool water flow over it. There may have been steam rising my head was so hot. Felt good until a hamstring cramped up and more agony. 

I guess this days workout kind of started my taper as it was shorter than the one on Sept. 30, but probably more intense. I will be trying to figure out how to taper down the volume over the next 3 weeks without loosing my conditioning. 

1 comment:

  1. The axis end revolves as the bar moves and the other end moves in a flat, nearly linier back and forth motion. This causes an elliptical path for the overall movement of the abdominal exercise machines.

    ReplyDelete