Sunday, April 11, 2010

Saturday morning shop ride

I had planned on riding with the Carolina Triathlon shop ride which leaves at 8am Saturday mornings from downtown Greenville. But, as usual I was running late. So I left at about 10 til 8 and had to try to catch the group on the fly. I got to the intercept point (Buncombe and Blue Ridge Drive) at about 8:19 am and waited. Had I missed them? Darn it! Then I slowly went on up the road, but kept loking back... after about 3 minutes there they all apperaed in the distance. I was glad. I rode slowly and they finally caught me. I let everyone go by me so I could survey who was there. Wondered where my friend Doug was. Turns out he was leading a group on a Miracle Hill training ride of about 50 miles.


The group continued toward Paris Mountain with some "racing" to get the climb started. I was back at the back of the group about 30 to 60 seconds behind the leader. That was fine as I was not sure of how fast I would go up. I decided to try and keep my pace moderate and get faster as I went. I kept passing riders until I thought I was near the leader. Near the end I was right on the heels of a guy at the top. Did the backside in 13'45" my fastest this year and in a long time. I had a carrot to chase (many carrots). The winner or king of the mountain turned out to be a 14 year old - Sawyer Wellingham. I recognised him because he was just on the cover of GO magazine, a local multi sport magazine. I almost caught an older guy named Steve. This was not an official race, but I came in 3rd.

We waited a good bit and waited on all the other riders. I talked to Steve and Sawyer. We finally descend Paris Mountain and this time I was No. 1 to the bottom. My legs were hurting from the climb. We again stopped and waited on all the riders. I talked to another 14 ear old named Justin. He also was going to do the Paris Mountain Triathlon next weekend (like Sawyer). We continued on to downtown to the shop. I went in and used the rest room and looked around the shop. Looked at running shoes, handlebars, etc. Got a copy of GO mag and reread about Sawyer. Spent about 30 minutes there before leaving again not sure where to go. Decided to go back to PM and do the backside again.

This time I climbed at an easier, but moderate pace and got to top in under 16 minutes with my legs hurting a little. Went down and then stopped at top of Woodhaven and looked at my cyclo-computer and made mental notes about the steep hill. Coasted down Woodhaven to the bottom, turned around and climbed it. It is about 18 % then levels out to 8% and back up to 20% (I saw 21% for a moment) It is about 0.3 to 0.4 miles long and gains about 230 feet. Back down again. Then a climb up Sleepyhollow Drive at 15% most of the way. Two last tough climbs for the day. Legs hurting.

On the way home I went into Paris Mountain State Park and went past a bunch of old but nice cars. 1930's Ford Specials and Super specials and a Woody all lined up. Then down to the office where Sunrift Adventures was unloading boats for a demo day. Might check that out. Guy that works at the park said he was going to do the triathlon and that he got in the pond a few weeks ago and it was very cold even with a wetsuit (it is now 73 degrees). I am working next weekend or I might do this event. Got home at 12:30pm with 48 miles. Another good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment