Friday, April 23, 2010

run Greer HM

run in Greer eartday half marathon tomorrow (Sat  morning).

after the race:

I woke up at about 330am and then ate a big breakfast of 700 to 800 calories at 4 am. I hoped it was not too much.

I got ready and got to Greer about 6:45 am. It is only 6 miles away. I parked and walked about 5 minutes to the city park. I got my timing chip and ran and walked around a little but not much more than a mile. Retighten shoe laces and had a Powerbar gel. At about 7:20 I went to the starting line and spotted Chris Giordanelli. I had been wanting to meet him. He is an elite runner/triathlete/bicyclist my age also with asthma and allergies. We chatted breifly. I went to the back of the starting group and did little running back and forth because of the adrenaline I had.

The gun went of at about 7:34 and we all proceded. It was very slow at first and i was impatient. I tied everything to pass people by runnning on the sidewalkes and snaking in between. I must have passed 200 people in the first mile. It was hard work.

The first few miles my pace was about 8:00 but then I started to pick it up a little. At mile 4, I grabbed a cup of Gatorade and proceded to spill it all over my face and front as I ran. Opps. I learned. But I did need a little fluid. It was overcast and a little drizzly so not a day when you sweat a lot. I noticed my times were under 8:00 pace. At mile 6 or so I had some downhill sections and I roared down them allowing my heart rate to rocket as well. I did a 7:00 mile then. I was all the while passing people. I was passed by one guy during the whole event. I guess he started late. I hoped that I was not going too fast and going to burn out too soon. I had done this distance before but not at this speed. I had another gel pack around mile 8 or 9. I got a bit of water after this.

At about mile 9 or 10 I noticed a dime in the gutter and I did not stop to get it as normal. I thought to myself that this (I) must be serious. At mile 11, I really openend up and my heart went to about 165. At mile 12 I stopped for about 5 seconds to drink Gatorade. I had done a 6:55 mile so I was doing well. The last mile I passed a guy who said "looking good" and I said back "feeling bad". I gave it all the closer I got to the finish. The last full mile pace was 6:43 and average heart rate of 168.

I would later find out that I crossed the line in 45th place with 1:38:20 gun time. My chip time was 1:37:34 which was actually faster than 44th place. Next time I should start not in the back of the group. I was pleased with my time as I had beaten my goal of 1:44.

After the race I wondered around but did not see Chris. I went home and planned on some easy riding. I ate a little and got on to the bike. The rain still was not coming down. I rode in the country and then back to Greer but the "proceedings" were over by 11:30 am when I got there. I found someone with some results and saw that Chris had come in 3rd with a time around 1:16:30. I rode back home and on the way went and got that dime that was still there. None of the other runeers had picked it up either! I am obsessed.

Went and took Kristen to her friends house and went back out on the bike for another hour or so. It started to rain. Another rider came allong and passed me. I sped up and stayed with him. We were hammering the rolling hills. It was a young guy. After a bit he turned off the busy rode and I turned with him. He slowed down and we chatted. He put on a rain jacket and I went ahead. I got in about 40 miles that day. Time to get my daughters and recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment