Thursday, April 1, 2010

back to Ceasars Head

Went back to Ceasars Head for the second time this year but this time on my best bike.  When I left around noon it was almost 80 degrees and sunny.  Headed over to Travelers Rest and up 276.  By about 1:10, the time I got to the base of the climb,  I had averaged 17.8 mph.  The climb started slow and i kept the heart rate moderate.  I chated breifly with a biker going up [who said he was going to climb it a couple times] and then pressed on. A semi and trailer came around a hairpin turn out in my lane but got back in just in time.  Bad route for a semi.  Then as I got nearer the top I pushed harder.  Made it in 40.3 minutes.  Darn.  I wanted to break 40 .There were lots of people at the rangers station.  Hikers, motorists, kids.  Refilled my bottles behind the restrooms and quickly was back on the bike.  No traffic in front of me and I was able to go down pretty well. Descended in 11.7 minutes.  A motorcyclist was following me and when I got to the bottom he went around me and yelled out my speed as if he was impressed (I have a speedometer!).  I just waved. They had 276 blocked for tree trimming and I sat at the SC 11/276 junction a while and got impatient. Went home via SC 11 to Chinquapin Rd. and then Tigerville.  The energy was really low and was hurting in the legs. The heat had got to me too-drank about 3.5 bottles of fluid.  Home at 4 pm; About 66 miles in 3.7 hrs.  Recovery time.

No comments:

Post a Comment