Thursday, October 31, 2013

B2B Saturday part 2

B2B Saturday, part 2 So into the water I went. The temperature was reported at 71 degrees. There were many swimmers ahead and many behind. All around 700 or so of us. The first taste of saltwater hit the back of my mouth and it was not pleasing. It seemed to burn my throat.  I just swam and occasionally looked for a buoy. Supposed to be several along the way. A large crane in the distance, a large water tower. What should I follow?   I should mention that despite my plans in the summer to get prescription contacts, I didn't. I could not see well. I just sort of went with everyone else. I bet a view of me from the air showed a zig zag pattern.  I had a bandage wrapped around my right thumb over a burn. I had to pinch it to my pointer finger as I swam.  Standup paddle-boarders and kayakers lined the way.  After about 45 minutes of swimming I saw the bright orange triangle shaped buoy.   This is where we would turn left. The straight swim of about 1.5 to 1.8 miles up Banks Channel took me almost an hour before I got to the buoy.  There were now houses on the north side of the channel. My arms were really starting to tire. The tide that usually helps the swimmers in this race was perhaps just now starting to come in. Another 5 or 10 minutes I was turning right and headed toward what I could barely see as the finishing dock. A bright orange flag flew there. I was soon along side large boats tied up. Hoped I would not get a mouth full of gasoline or diesel taste.  Got to the dock and was able to climb up the first ladder of many. People were there to help I guess but that is against the rules. I ran along the dock and up a ramp to the concrete walk. I began removing swim caps and goggles. A guy helped strip my wetsuit off as I lay on my back. Off and running again and into a warm shower tent. This took a minute but got the saltwater off my head. Running again towards the T1 area.  A 400 yard run total with bare feet on asphalt so it was tiptoe running. Many people lined the street cheering us all on.  Crossed over the first timing mat and into transition. 1 hour and 19 minutes.  Headed directly toward my bag and grabbed it. Ran to the mens changing tent and in. Nowhere to move. I went back outside. I used the large hotel towel to dry off my head and tri-suit as best I could.  It was very cold and I struggled to put on a jersey. Then arm warmers, leg warmers, head cover and helmet.  Sat down and dried off my feet and put on socks, bike shoes and full shoe covers. No cold feet for me. Shoved my wetsuit, towel etc into my bag and tied it up. Ran to my bike and decided to put on my rain jacket also for added warmth. Gloves on too. Ran out with bike over timing mat (about 15 minutes in T1) and onto the road. Mounted my bike and started going slow.  It was cold but sunny. Biked a twisting course slowly and then over the metal drawbridge. I began passing riders soon. Started getting into a rhythm. I passed many riders that were better swimmers than me. Up Military Cutoff Road. Police seemed to be at every intersection. Soon we were on I-140. Cyclists on the interstate. We had the fast lane and motorists on the right.  I remember looking at my watch and seeing that 2 hours had gone by and I was surprised how fast it had gone by. Started seeing waterbottles dropped along the road. I continued to pass riders. Must do it in 15 seconds once you enter a zone within 15 feet of them.  At mile 20 I went by a aid station and decided to grab a bottle of HEED, a product from Hammer nutrition. I had my own stuff and really didn't need it yet, but I had an empty water bottle cage so just an impulse.  Northward we went into a headwind. I expected it from the forecast. At about mile 22 there were some railroad tracks. The guy ahead of me crossed over them and a waterbottle flew out of his behind the seat waterbottle cage. As he looked back at it he lost control of his bike and crashed what looked like pretty bad. I crossed the tracks and stopped and grabbed a couple of water bottles and handed them to him. I told him to rest and regain his bearings.  Another guy started helping him. I took off. About 5 miles later he would pass me! The miles went on. It was a four lane divided road for a long ways. Riders ahead and behind as far as you could see. I kept seeing "litter" of pills, GU packets, bottles, CO2 canisters gloves and so on.  Oh yea. My speedometer was not working at all but that didn't really bother me. I was watching the heart rate on my Polar watch and using my perceived exertion level as a guide.  I think at mile 40 or so there was another aid station. I stopped to get some Hammer gels and to volunteer gave me 4. Right before this station I had pulled over on a side road for a nature break.  I saw a guy pass me around this time. I guessed he was a half iron rider and one of the faster ones. His butt said "Duncan - USA". A nationally ranked rider with an official USA rider outfit. He was smoking fast.  Compared to 2 years ago I was feeling warm. Well dressed and no rain. Felt good about that. But my left front hip was already hurting and my area where the saddle contacts my sit bones was hurting. Was going to be a long painful ride.  Finally at about mile 50 we turned west. Soon the middle aid station with my special needs bag and the half way point. Also I hoped the headwind would subside.  Got to the aid station and they yelled my number and got my back very quickly. He pulled out my can and handed it to me.  I can't even remember stopping. After I passed the station I decided to pull over. I drank my chocolate shake. I also took off my rain jacket. I was wet with sweat inside it. I jammed the jacket into my jersey and took off maybe spent 4 minutes there.  Much better that 2011 and they hypothermia shaking.  Mile  60 or 70 or so I pulled over for another nature break. I was feeling good after the chocolate shake but the pain in my hip was worse.  I began to sit up and even stand up and stretch it as I coasted. The saddle sore was painful as well and I tried to shift my weight off the small spot of pain.  At about mile 80 we headed south. I still was passing people but began to be passed by riders I had passed. Every 5 miles I would coast, stand up and stretch my left hip. I would stand and pedal and sit upright too. The aero tuck was hard to stay in. I struggled to ignore the pain and peddle hard and aero. The headwind remained. I was expecting a tailwind by this point, but I was disappointed.  I passed the next few aid stations.  I had started a second Powerbar. Mile 100 went by. Mile 110 went by and I was so ready to be off the bike and start running. We came into Wilmington and climbed over the very large draw bridge and downhill toward the convention center. I saw runners out on the course. The crowd there was large and noisy.  I screeched to a halt at the dismount line and almost fell over. Ran with my bike up the ramp and handed the bike over to a volunteer. Time to run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment