Thursday, March 22, 2012

Monster run

March 15
Run @ Clinton, SC.  8:35 pm, 73 degrees. 
Drank a Monster energy drink (very rare for me) and checked the radar since storms clouds were in the distance. Stars and thin clouds above. Looks ok. Changed into bike shorts and a jersey. Ran up Broad street on the lighted sidewalks 1.5 miles then turned around. Lots of people were out walking around. Got back to truck at 9:03 pm. 

Feeling real good.  Runners high
28 minutes gives 9:20 pace. Wow, Great! About 142 ave HR estimated. Keep going!  Decided to do a 3 mile loop that I had not done in maybe 5 months that included Presbyterian Collage. 

As I started on Springdale Drive I thought maybe I should have brought my maglite. There were a few stretches of unlighted road. Also I wished I had a light strapped to my head like a Petzl light. I might look into getting one. I have a cheap and heavy version of one I ought to try out. Where is it? So anyway I entered the first dark area and yep here comes a car. At the appropriate moment I jumped up the curb  onto the grassy shoulder. Just about 3 strides and thump! I hit the ground. I fell /stepped into a hole. The heel of both hands hit the grass while clenched around my phone in one hand and keys in other. My face nearly hit the dirt. stupid.

Full of adrenaline, ( and Taurine, caffiene , ...)  just bolted right back up.  I needed my flashlight. My left knee hit the ground but I hoped it wasn't bleeding. When I got to a lighted area I looked and it was ok. Lucky. 

I continued around the football stadium and past the fraternity houses. There was music blaring and people were out like it was a Friday. 

For the last 3 miles, a 9:00 pace is just so awesome. Heart rate was getting to 150 the few times I checked. No HRM just a digital watch. Used the 6 second method. 

So a 9:10 pace for the 6 miles. Great run. I feel great, like a rock star. Next time I will try Rockstar energy drink. And bring a spot light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment