Friday, February 28, 2014

End of February

end of Feb.  I have had time to reflect on W. C. Off road triathlon. It was great. I finished it. I did pretty well too. Middle of pack overall.  On the run knowing the course was not so critical, just aerobic conditioning. My running shoes were a little slippery and I might improve by wearing off road running shoes with deep lugs. I did pretty well for as little run training as I had.  Of course the kayak was new to me and I was slow, but I improved even during the race.  I could improve a good bit if I had more time in a boat. Not sure how that or if that will happen. Maybe I could rent an even faster boat. Epic makes the fastest ones it seems called "surf skiis". They are long and sleek and light.  The bike was ok. I was getting tired during it and frustrated not knowing the course. Knowing it next time will help. The gearing was ok but even lower than a 22 x 28 would be good. I Didn't expect some of the steeper hills we encountered. I'm not on a real light bike and sure a high end lighter bike would help. Doubt I will buy one, but maybe a rental would be nice.  Always thinking of ways to go faster is why racing is a good challenge.  My modest training for this event, not the long hours like for B2B, allowed me to be in the mix and experience some exciting racing.  What's event is next? Maybe a 5k or 10k run and/or a sprint triathlon soon. I signed up for Clemson sprint triathlon in May and I will do the Miracle Hill challenge in June.  Just read a new blog by a guy that does long distance bike races of 300, 500 miles and I think he has done RAAM. Always looking for a new challenge. I am now following him and will hopefully get my eyes opened more to that type of event.  My brother in Oregon has been wanting me to go there and join him on a riding event. I have ridden there many years ago. The big event of Cycle Oregon is in September and I look forward to that. A week long ride with thousands of others. Up to 489 miles and 35,000 feet of climbing. RAAM = Race Across AMerica. A sleep deprived bike race by extreme individuals or teams. West to East. 

No comments:

Post a Comment