Thursday, January 19, 2012

Goals

Been thinking about goals. Wondering what I should do as far as this year and beyond in the athletic arena.  

This year I will try to improve my running and maybe do a marathon and try to not only beat my previous time of about 3hr40min, but do it fast enough to qualify for the Boston marathon.  Also a triathlon or two as well. I may do the B2B again, which is in late October, so I have some time to decide. I will want to improve my time there as well (by an hour). Do one or more bike centuries probably as well. Rides with Doug, Rob and more. 

So anyway goals.  I can see that a person can use specific events as their goals [race for first place at event X].  Also specific geographical destinations as a goal [run or tri or bike in or near Washington DC]. You can of course just have a time goal like me wanting to run 26.2 somewhere, sometime in 3h25m or less. Might have a goal to try a new activity [try kayaking on a nearby river].  I could go on. 

What's my point?  Not sure. It is just interesting to see what other events or training schedule others do and why. If you are a pro, money is the ultimate reason. Why have goals? Why not just participate and enjoy? Why do I feel the need to outdo myself?  I may need to read some of Frued's theories. 

By the way my goal will not to go to Boston unless I win Powerball or something. I may want to just Qualify for it, to say that I could go. Same goes for Kona, even more so. I doubt I will go to Boston. I just want to be in the "club" of those who could go. Kinda like there are standards for army rangers as far as how many pushups in x time or pullups or run 2 miles (their standards and the seals are on wikipedia). I'm not going to be a navy seal. But maybe i can pass their physical.  For some reason that makes sense for me.  To just qualify. 

I have enjoyed going around SC (and Wilmington, NC) to different events.  I may go to Portland Oregon (where my bike riding brother lives and do an event or northern Indiana or Ohio where other family is. The rev 3 Cedar Point triathlon or a tri near Muncie looks interesting.  

Another goal is to continue to meet and train with more good people out there. Some I run into on the road or thru other friends. 

What are your goals? (athletic or otherwise)?  Wanna go to new places? Specific new places?  Buy a house? Get to a certain level at something? MBA? Certified worm inspector? President of USA?

No comments:

Post a Comment