Monday, May 23, 2011

Lance

I remember back in 2004 when I went to the Tour de Georgia and watched the pros race. I saw them time trial in Rome, GA. Then the next day I returned to see them in the mountains. I was in Delonega, GA. I saw Lance get out of the team bus afterwards and I followed him. I had brought my bike and was able to get around pretty well.

He went to a trailer with the initials USADA on it. There was a crowd formed around it (as there was everywhere he went). He came out and maybe signed a few more autographs and got on his bike. I got on mine. He went one way and I went another. I knew he would head back to the bus.

I rode hard for about 30 seconds and intersected him. I rode beside him and was able to take his picture as I rode. I didn't know what to say. I just rode. Then he was back at the bus and out of sight. He had to get through a huge crowd clammoring for autographs.

So in my own tiny way I raced Lance and then rode with him. Good memory.

Today he is still dealing with doping accusations. I wish the government would not do their inquiry. We know our heros of the peloton have probably doped in the past. But if the tests are negative then stop there. Design better tests. Or maybe we need a new cycling federation that allows doping. No more tests. Anyway, I'll keep loving watching bicycling races and cherishing memories of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment