Friday, February 18, 2011

Spring already?

The temps up in the mid 60's and time to ride. I wore only shorts and a jersey. It was mostly sunny (or is it partly cloudy?). Decided to go climb Paris Mountain a few times. Before I got to the base a Porsche 911 type went by the other way and i heard hom really stomp on the gas a few minutes later he went past me and I saw it was a Carrera 4 model.

I climbed the frontside moderately in 22 minutes which is a good effort not a huge effort but some sweat was produced. I stopped at the summit and ate a fig bar and soon started down the backside. It took only 4 minutes to do the 2.2 miles. It felt great. I saw a few riders going up as i went down. I lingered at the bottom and two riders went by. I began to circled around before going back up.

Just then a rider came at me going toward the climb as I was going away from it. I recognized it was big George Hincapie and I said "hi George" and waved. He said hi. Another rider followed him. I circled back and began the climb with George and friend? In sight. I was soon struggling with the heart at 160. They were only about 50 feet in front but I knew I probably would not catch them. If only I was 10 pounds lighter on a lighter bike and in better shape then maybe. Well maybe closer.

So after a few minutes they were farther away but maybe only 15 to 20 seconds ahead. I kept on and knew at least I would have a good time for the climb as long as I was chasing. About 10 minutes in and I saw the friend again. I was in the mid to upper 160's heart rate now. I caught the guy and sat on his wheel a minute then saw I was able to pass. He said I scared him I was too quiet I guess. I said sorry. I passed him and anticipated the summit. I did not see George again anywhere but no surprise.

I made the top at 14.4 minutes and at about 172 BPM. I stopped and caught my breath. In a minute the guy passed by me and went down the front side. I continued on up to the radio towers to view the city and found a dime and a penny.

Back down the backside and this time I climbed it in about 16.5 minutes, a reasonable pace. On down the frontside and went right toward George's house. Also I went into the Protech motorsport car shop and there was the Carrera 4 and a plain Carrera and other Porches and Audis in the lot. Never know what I'll see there. Once there was a 914 with a potent small block chevy in it. Crazy fast.

Went into Montebello and passed by Georges house and noticed the for sale sign was gone. I wonder what ever happened to his plans for his bike housing developement (pla da day)since the housing bust. I think maybe it has been cancelled. Noone appeared to be at home but the whole community seemed strangley vacant. The millionaires don't take walks I guess.

Time to go home and get the girls and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment