Sunday, February 13, 2011

Green Valley Road Race

Went to Furman University Saturday morning and it was cold for a run. It got to about 25 degrees and was just starting to warm up at 7:30 AM. I went and got my packet and headed back to the car like most everyone else (not everyone to my car). I pinned my bob number onto a race belt. I did not find the start time so I had to to ask (I'm so prepared). I thought it was 8 but it was 8:45 for the 10 mile. There was also a 8K race starting at 8:30.

I ran and walked over to where generally I was told the start line was. It took about 5 minutes. Only one person was there at about 8:20. I went back to the car walking and jogging. I needed to take off an outer pair of pants and a coat. I took a sockhat with me not sure if I wanted that either. Hard to judge what will end up being too much but I was cold! I had medium wt tights bottom and on top had a wicking layer, a light wt sweater, and a green bike jersey on top. Many runners had just shorts pn the bottom -yikes.

I went back to the starting area at 8:40 and now there were many people there. I decided to stuff my sock hat into a bush to hide it. I had a lightweight billed cap i kept. We gathered for the start and I faced the wrong direction for a few moments! Anyway we were off. I kept my pace slow and negotiated around the even slower runners. I think my first mile or two was 8:30 pace.

As I warmed up I was glad I didn't have the sockhat. I got my heart rate to the low 150s at first but then got going mid 150's and doing 8:00 pace. I flew down the short hills compared to the others but slowed way down going back up. About half way and the sun and the run kept warming me up. I started to amp it up a little more to the 160 area and 7:45 pace.

At mile 8 I let it get to the mid 160's and was really straining. Wondering if I could hold on. Maybe I was pushing too hard. Sweat pouring down. I had stopped at 3 aid stations along the way by now each time gulping about 4 ounces of Gatorade.

The last mile I was giving it all and just wanted to collapse in the grass but kept upright. My heart rate was 171 average for the last mile and 7:20 pace.
I hit the finish line just after the 1 hour and 20 minute mark.

Did better than I hoped for a few days prior. I was faster at the half marathon last year in April but I had much more training for that. I only had about 50 miles this year stickly running but had biking and swimming also.

Afterwards I pigged out on bagels and fruit at the gathering spot for the event. Time to rest the legs a while but later that day I did a few hours on the bike easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment