Sunday, August 3, 2014

Lake Logan part2

Lake Logan Triathlon part 2 So I got back to the lake about 5 am. Traffic fairly light yet so good there. ate a bagel and just sat there thinking I did not want to do this. Give me my money back and I will just watch.   Also i listened to the radio. Slowly i got going. Inflated tires to a precise pressure, got my helmet and took them to the transition area (TA). It was a 5 to 7 minute walk. Went to a booth and bought a neoprene cap for the cold water swim. I was a little afraid of being cold coming out of the water. Found an out of the way portapotty and took care of that important task.  Went back to the truck and organized the rest of the stuff to take to TA. I had to change into my tri suit as well. It was well past 6 am now. I gathered it all into my big bag and went back to TA. Mixed up my drink mix into the bottles.  I  realized that I forgot my watch and it was 6:50 or only 10 minutes before they closed TA. I had to run back to truck. Also they were saying I needed to be a the starting dock for announcements. At the truck I had to start putting on my wetsuit franticly. Ran back to TA (enter at 6:59) then ran to the dock area in bare feet (ouch) My wave started at 7:20 so I was fine there.  Prior to swim I talked to a guy that had been a very good, winning, triathlete years ago but had been out for 3 years after breaking his hip. Scott Alee or something like that. I figured out my neoprene cap was on backwards. Lost my nose-plug in the process. Went back and somehow found it in the gravel. Also I forgot my race belt and my bib were hanging around my neck!  I stuffed it down the front of my wetsuit.  I would put it by my bike after the swim.  We got in the water a few minutes prior to start. Walked on squishy plants and treaded water. Then we were off. A crowded start but no major kicks in my face. Later on the run I would hear a guy say he was kicked in the stomach so hard he lost his breath and had to be pulled up onto a kayak for a bit. So the swim was going ok and I just resigned myself to breathing on one side only. The water temp of 68 in the suit was no problem. About maybe 20 minutes into it i began to see red caps and those were fast women who started 5 minutes after me.  I tried to stay with them but they were too fast. Coming back towards the river I began to see the bottom of the lake which was weird. And as we got to the bridge the temperatuw got like 55 or 60 degrees. Glad to see the exit dock. Got in line to climb a metal ladder out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment