Monday, December 30, 2013

Winter Challenge

Need a goal, otherwise known as "an event".  I've struggled to decide on doing an off-road triathlon in February.  It seems like a different and fun event. It is a 7 mile trail run, 6 miles of paddling on a calm pond and 10 mile off-road bike ride.  I already have a modest mountain bike that seems well suited to the course. I just bought and installed cleated pedals on the bike.  Had off-road shoes for several years that my brother had sent me. Been practicing with this setup at trails near my apartment.  It involves paddling so either a kayak or a canoe will be needed. It is a foreign subject to me so I'm trying to educate myself about it.  I can rent a boat, but feel I should do some practice before the event. So the expense of multiple days of rental may justify buying a boat. Been looking at boats at Sunrift and online for used ones.  Several times a week swimming  at the Y. No more than a mile per session. Doing dumbbell curls, pull-ups and pushups to strengthen the arms. All this exercise should serve as good conditioning (transfer over) to the paddling.  Not much running lately but some. Treadmill runs up to 3 miles. On Christmas day I pushed myself and ran 8 miles in the cold.  So this event I just registered for is out of my comfort zone and that may be good. It is in Springfield SC down south of Columbia. Winter Challenge is the event name. I will be camping there the night before with some others I guess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment