Saturday, July 28, 2012

Late July - new activities

Late July - new activities.  7/25. Got done with working an extra day for 3 days in a row. One day off and 3 in a row this weekend. Not much time for exercise.  On the way home I stopped at my bosses house and bought a mountain bike from him. It is a Trek 17" frame "Limited Edition VW ". Yep all in quotes is painted on the frame. It weighs about 27 pounds, has no suspension, cro-moly frame, Shimano SXT components, 26 x 2.1 Kuhmo tires, presta tubes, 22 x 28 lowest gear. Those items should give you an idea that it is not a Walmart bike - quite a bit better. I have a "found" and abused Walmart MTB (by Huffy) that I have ridden a few times but I don't treat it well and haven't ridden it in years. It is heavy and shifts poorly.  7/26. Stayed up too late last night watching a couple old movies "Born Loosers" (a Billy Jack prequel) and "I spy" (Eddy Murphy). Anyhow, got up at like noon and it was already 95 degrees and humid. The open road did not appeal to me nor the pool. I took the Jetta Trek down to the trails in the woods behind the apartment office. I have run these trails in the past for variety (and tried the Huffy MTB here). The heavily forested trails would at least offer a lot of shade. For about 30 minutes I sweated and taught myself how to ride MTB. I have rarely done this type of riding. Climbing on foot on steeper grades, but pedaling whenever possible. Very challenging trails. Will try to develop a routine here on these trails and do some trail maintenance. Did not wear heart rate monitor or have any metrics. I know i had some high intensity bits and some low. Afterwards, the right knee is sore.  So thus a new dimension to this blog is born?  Bicycling OFF-road!  Oh yea, I think I may add fishing to here as well. Kristen and I have been going to Lake Robinson and catching mainly small bluegills. We will keep learning and see where it takes us. It is not part of the normal multi sport activities but it is an outdoor activity.  7/28 Saturday. Walk 8.5 miles at work. Then for a humid run near sunset in Clinton/Presby.Coll.  Did estimated 4.2 miles and 100 pushups (declining rep. sets every 5-10 minutes)  in 45 minutes.  Will drive home Sunday night and head to Huntington on Monday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment