Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Rain on my parade

I set out at 11 am on a rainy day for a long ride. It was 36 degrees and sleet was possible. These wintery conditions made they ride a festival of misery. Yet if I could keep my hands and feet warm enough it was refreshing.

Took the Silverado bike it is my Trek touring bike with racks and panniers and fenders also it has a triple with a 28 tooth "granny gear". It approaches 35 pounds. Needless to say it would be slow going.

I rode up north to tigerville and the rain started. Along rhe way i had to swerve out of the way of a garbage truck that started to run through a stop sign right as i passed by. I yelled loudly and waved my fist as I looked back. I also had to swerve around a dead skunk (oh the smell was unbelievable) I rode up old camp Indian at a snails pace. On up the watershed and decided to keep going up toward Hendersonville. The reservoir seemed to be very full which always is reassuring. I saw lots of icecicles on the rock face on the side of the road. Much snow was still in the woods and side of the road. The river flowed over falls. It was a beautiful trip.

The 6 mile ride down the escarpment was quite chilling but unavoidable. My feet were numb nuns on the end of my legs. The neoprene gloves were soaked yet just good enough to have my hands not fall off. The fingers were sharp with pain.

Back at Tigerville and my legs were quite sore. I would suffer further on the way back.
Back at home at 3:30 pm. I was so sore. My quads were dead. My toes were bright red as I took off my socks.

I took a long hot shower and slowly came back to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment