Sunday, September 26, 2010

Lonesome rider

I got up late Saturday morning about 8:30 am. I had wanted to join Doug G. with the downtown Carolina Triathlon group but I would miss them. Was up too late Friday at the WHHS football game and getting my daughter at a party afterwards.

Anyhow got a pot of coffee and was on my bike about 9:20. I headed downtown just in case I might catch Doug at the tri shop still. I went slow warming up, fighting a headwind and traffic lights. Averaged about 14 mph. Got to the store and no Doug. I saw a sea of pink from folks leaving the Susan G. Komen run/walk event for cancer.

So the I headed north an got on the Swamp Rabbit trail. I was going fairly well but had to negotiate a lot of traffic with runners, walkers and other bikers. Went up to past Furman where the gravel section is and got off. Went toward Paris mountain. Decided to stay off of it and head to Ceasars Head for a long climb. I had kind of wanted to do the Six Gap century in Georgia on Sunday but with rain forecast as a sure thing then I was not into that. So I wanted to get this long ride in and so far I was not sure I'd be doing that.

As I was about to cross over US 25 I saw a big group of cyclists headed at me. I waited and yes it contained Big George Hincapie in it. I waved as they went by. The I thought about it for 20 seconds and turned around to catch them. I was going by the seat of my pants today. I stayed with the group a few miles until on Old Buncombe they all stopped at Parkers road (?) for some reason. I continued on Parker so as not to be discovered as an uninvited guest in their group. I felt akward. I circled back to old buncombe and the group passed by me as I was going fast down it to the north again.

I finally got to the top of Ceasars Head after riding up US276 the whole way. I stopped at the overlook and watch people with binoculars looking for hawks or some special bird. One lady was sitting on the railing and it was freaking me out. It was at least a 1000 foot fall if she lost her balance. I finished my energy bar, went and filled my water bottles and decided to go thru the Dupont forest area over to Flat Rock, NC. It was a hot day and I would later find out a new record was set at GSP with a 94 degree reading! Anyway the clouds were coming from the west and rain was forecast to start Saturday night.

The ride to flat rock went well with all the great scenery (forests and rushing rocky rivers) and I made good time. Got up to 48 mph on one downhill section. Went to the Carl Sandburg home visitors center and filled up the water bottles. 70 miles so far and headed south toward home.

My average spped for the day had gotten above 16 so I know I was doing OK. I sent a text message to my daughter that I would be home by 4:30 pm. I rode on until I got to the state line and from there it was a 6 mile descent. The clouds were building and some were dark. Just before I got to Tigerville there were wet sections of road. I had missed a breif shower. Kept pushing on and got home about 4:10. Ave speed was 16.9 for the 105 mile trip. Time for a smoothie and collapse on the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment