Wednesday, May 26, 2010

longest swim yet

Just got done swimming at the YMCA   I swam 110 laps for about 5500 yards or 3.35 indoor swimming miles.  I didnt know I would go that far but not surprised.  It took me 2 hrs 10 minutes to do the 100 laps or 3 miles so I beat my old record by about 10 minutes.  It is weird that the first 30 to 60 minutes seem so hard on my heart and then it shifts to easier breathing and heart rate but then the fatigue on the muscles starts kicking in.  Takes awhile to warmup and get a rhythm going.

I got real bad cramps in my calf at about 90 laps.  I drank 40 oz of sports drinks during all of this.  Afterwards I had a cocktail of Powerade, creatine and whey protein and a protein snack bar.  Hopefully my calf cramps will settle down.  It is weird that my arm muscles do not seem to cramp.  I guess pushing off the wall all the time gets to the calf.  My shoulders and back are sore but not too bad. 

I guess I could do the 2.4 miles of a full triathlon but the water conditions make it so much more challenging.
Did a variety of strokes (breast, side, back, some experimentation with dolfin kick/butterfly) but mainly freestyle.  I did 500 yards in 9'40" which is also a best for me. 

I am ending my Y membership at the end of May and I knew that this would be my last long indoor swim like this for about 7 months.  I expect to join back up in January 2011.  It will be swimming at my apartment pool from now on.  It was nice being indoors while it was blazing hot during the early afternoon and not getting sunburned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment